Luxury car sales are on fire in Canada and with the loonie in a nose dive, clearly this is not because Canadians are feeling collectively richer.
No, expensive rides are rolling off dealer lots for a long list of reasons, including boomers who now feel ready to reward themselves with the car of their dreams. To nudge those boomers into the "buy" column – and they have been doing so in big numbers, with luxury car sales up more than 20 per cent last year – car companies are loading up on deals, some of which seem far too generous to ignore.
Want a gorgeous and incredibly fast $105,990 Jaguar XJL Supercharged sedan? Jaguar has $10,000 in factory rebates in play if you are a loyal Jag owner or someone moving from one of Jag's competitors. Drive a hard bargain, and you should be able to get $4,000-$5,000 in the form of a dealer discount, too.
Or how about an Audi A4? Sales of the aging A4 slipped 14 per cent last year. To prop them up until a remade version arrives, Audi Canada is throwing $3,000 at a $41,500 A4 quattro sedan. Folks, this is an excellent car with one of the world's best all-wheel drive systems. So it's not the newest design in its segment. Still a very nice automobile.
Have you ever craved the hushed ride of a Lexus? The 2014 ES 350 is a relatively new design, yet Lexus Canada has a $1,000 factory spiff on the table, and word in the street is that Lexus dealers are, on average, willing to up the deal-making ante with a $2,000-plus discount. Not bad on a $39,750 sedan.
Even the all-new Infiniti Q50 is doing the incentive shuffle. If you play your cards right, you should be able to deal for as much as $4,000 in discounts on $43,400 Q50 sedan – and take 2.90 per cent financing, to boot.
January is always a slow month for new vehicle sales, which for many – especially luxury shoppers – represents a buying opportunity. These deals are just four examples of something bigger going on out there.
Deals of the Week consulted with www.unhaggle.com, www.carcostcanada.com, and other sources on these offers. As usual, pricing information here is subject to change and dealer discounts vary, so consult your dealer for all the final details, including expiry dates for all offers.
2014 Jaguar XJL Supercharged sedan
- MSRP: $105,990
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,450
- Dealer discount (estimated): $5,000
- Factory discount: $10,000 (combined manufacturer incentives)
- Taxable subtotal: $92,440
- Total price with 13% HST: $104,457.20
2014 Audi A4 4 door sedan auto Komfort quattro
- MSRP: $41,500
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $2,230
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,000
- Factory discount: $3,000 (manufacturer incentive)
- Taxable subtotal: $38,730
- Total price with 13% HST: $43,764.90
- $1,500 factory incentive available with 2.90% financing for five years
2014 Lexus ES 350 4 door sedan
- MSRP: $39,750
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $2,230
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,500
- Factory discount: $1,000 (Manufacturer incentive)
- Taxable subtotal: $38,480
- Total price with 13% HST: $43,482.40
- 3.60% financing for 48 months available with factory rebate
2014 Infiniti Q50 4 door sedan AWD Premium
- MSRP: $43,400
- Freight, PDI, AC tax: $2,230
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,300
- Factory discount: $1,400 (Manufacturer incentive)
- Taxable subtotal: $41,930
- Total price with 13% HST: $47,380.90
- 2.90% financing for 60 months available with incentives
Pricing information source: www.unhaggle.com and www.carcostcanada.com. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Where noted, "dealer discounts" are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis. Unhaggle Savings are actual discounts received by Unhaggle customers.
If you have questions about driving or car maintenance, please contact our experts at email@example.com.
Follow us on Twitter @Globe_Drive.
Add us to your circles.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter.