Here in Canada we've yet to see the "buy one car, get a second free" offers popping up in Europe's depressed new car marketplace, but you never know…
Reuters is reporting that Europe's slumping car sales are driving unprecedented competition among brands and dealers. Case in point: retired builder Elie Chauvin in France recently bought a Hyundai ix35 crossover and for an extra euro ($1.37) the dealer threw in an i10 minicar. Some deal.
Still, Deals of the Week unearthed a roster of impressive Canada-based sales sweeteners. August is traditionally a very slow month for new vehicle sales, so to liven things up, car dealers and their manufacturers often load up the sales incentives – particularly on in-stock models that need to get cleared from dealer lots.
The 2013 BMW Z4 roadster is a perfect example. With a facelifted 2014 Z4 also on dealer lots, leftover 2013 Z4s need to go. Selection, naturally, is limited, but if you find a 2013 Z4 you like, BMW Canada has a $12,500 cash incentive on the table for cash buyers.
Add in a dealer discount of perhaps $2,000 or more (negotiated, of course) on the 2013 Z4 and you're looking at a European-like deal on an excellent sports car. If coming up with the cash is an issue, BMW Canada also has a 0.90 per cent finance rate for up to 48 months and it can be combined with a $3,000 rebate.
Over at Volkswagen, the 2013 Volkswagen CC 4 door DSG Highline is in play, with factory offers totalling up to $5,000 – plus whatever dealer discount the savvy shopper can negotiate. That's a good deal – as is the $3,000 in factory money on a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze compact sedan. As with the Z4, the 2014 version of the Cruze is already on dealer lots, so Chevy dealers are anxious to move leftover 2013s.
And it's a similar story at Mazda with the 2013 CX-9 sport utility. With the model year winding down, Mazda Canada has upped the offer here – to discounts approaching $5,000, plus a negotiated dealer discount. Mazda Canada also has a $1,000 Owner Renewal Program rebate available to existing Mazda owners.
Yes, you might find richer deals in Europe, but the ones in Canada aren't bad in the dog days of August.
Deals of the Week consulted with unhaggle.com, carcostcanada.com and other sources on these offers. As usual, pricing information here is subject to change and dealer discounts vary, so consult your dealer for all the final details, including expiry dates for all offers.
2013 BMW Z4 two door Roadster sDrive28i
- MSRP: $54,300
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $985
- Factory discount: $12,500 (Alternate Cash Back factory-to-dealer rebate for cash purchases only)
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,150
- Taxable subtotal: $40,635
- Total price with 13% HST: $45,917.55
- 0.90% finance rate for up to 48 months can be combined with a $3,000 rebate
2013 Volkswagen CC 4 door DSG Highline
- MSRP: $41,375
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,495
- Factory discount: $4,000 (Dealer Cash factory-to-dealer rebate cash purchases only)
- Factory discount: $1,000 (2013 Build-Out Bonus factory-to-customer rebate cash purchases only)
- Dealer discount: $1,850
- Taxable subtotal: $36,020
- Total price with 13% HST: $40,702.60
2013 Chevrolet Cruze 4 door Sedan LT Turbo w/1SA
- MSRP: $19,335
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,650
- Factory discount: $3,000 (GM Non-stackable Delivery Allowance factory-to-dealer rebate cash purchases only)
- Dealer discount (estimated): $750
- Taxable subtotal: $17,235
- Total price with 13% HST: $19,475.55
- $750 incentive can be combined with 0.0% financing for 84 months
2013 Mazda CX-9 FWD 4 door GS
- MSRP: $33,995
- Freight, PDI, AC tax: $1,995
- Factory discount: $3,859 (Mazda Retail Cash factory-to-dealer incentive for cash purchases only)
- Factory discount: $750 (Mazda Signing Bonus Program factory-to-consumer rebate)
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,400
- Taxable subtotal: $29,990
- Total price with 13% HST: $33,888.70
- A $1,000 Owner Renewal Program rebate is available to existing Mazda owners
Pricing information source: www.unhaggle.com and www.carcostcanada.com. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Where noted, "dealer discounts" are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis. Unhaggle Savings are actual discounts received by Unhaggle customers.