BMW Group Canada president and CEO Eduardo Villaverde tells me he'll authorize what it takes to remain competitive in what can only be described as the ultra-competitive battle between the three big luxury brands: BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi.
All three brands are enjoying banner years: BMW sales are up 8.8 per cent, Audi sales are up 15.6 per cent and Mercedes sales are up 16.1 per cent. It's true that these German luxomakers sell very nice products, and that explains some part of the increased demand across the board. It's also true they are all engage in discounting to varying degrees.
The purpose of this article is to highlight discounts and deals, which brings us to the 2012 BMW X1 SUV. Here, the simplest offer to understand is a $1,500 factory-to-dealer rebate that cannot be stacked with other offers.
Now to the wrinkle. A separate $1,500 option credit factory-to-dealer rebate, notes www.carcostcanada.com (CCC), may be advertised as a free automatic transmission, and it is available on all vehicles, regardless of transmission. Better still, CCC says this sweetener can be combined with lease or finance rates: 1.9 per cent retail finance for four years, or a 2.9 per cent lease rate for two, three or four years.
Next, Land Rover. Sales are up 59.1 per cent thanks to the new Evoque. It's a winner, and is casting a big, dark shadow over the older Land Rover LR2.
A cousin of mine looked at both. She likes the Evoque a lot, but eventually opted for the deal on the LR2, an older design. The deal in Canada is a $3,000 factory-to-dealer rebate for cash purchases that cannot be combined with other offers.
There is almost always a wrinkle, however. Here, it's the $2,000 loyalty cash program factory-to-customer rebate available to current owners who re-up with Land Rover. It can be combined with any other factory incentive offer, including 0.90 per cent financing for five years.
At Lincoln, Ford Motor's luxurious work in progress, they are offering a whopping $6,000 factory-to-dealer rebate on the Lincoln MKZ. Moreover, it can be combined with a laundry list of other offers – including a $1,000 rebate for current Costco members, the no-charge sport appearance package, which is worth a net $860, and 0.0 per cent financing for three years.
Finally, the Honda Civic coupe, the two-door version of Canada's long-standing best seller. It's being bankrolled with a $1,500 factor-to-dealer rebate. Alas, this offer cannot be combined with any other offers.
As usual, Deals of the Week obtained pricing information from www.carcostcanada.com, among other sources. Consult your dealer for all the details. In the meantime, here are the numbers.
2012 BMW X1 28i AWD
- MSRP: $38,500
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $2,095
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,500
- Factory discount: $1,500 (non-stackable trading dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $37,595
- Total price with 13% HST: $42,482.35
- Note: 0.0% financing available, but it cannot be combined with trading dollars
2012 Land Rover LR2 HSE
- MSRP: $44,950
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,370
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,700
- Factory discount: $3,000 (purchase cash factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $41,620
- Total price with 13% HST: $47,030.60
2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD
- MSRP: $41,100
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,700
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,000
- Factory discount: $6,000 (delivery allowance factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Factory discount: $860 (no-charge sport appearance package factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $34,940
- Total price with 13% HST: $39,482.20
- Factory discount: $1,000 (Costco rebate)
- Final price: $38,482.20
- Note: 0.0 per cent financing for three years can be combined with other offers
2012 Honda Civic Coupe LX
- MSRP: $19,440
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,595
- Dealer discount (estimated): $850
- Factory discount: $1,500 (trading dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $18,685
- Total price with 13% HST: $21,114.05
Pricing information source: carcostcanada.com. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Dealer discounts are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis.