Skip to main content

Check out this roundup of 2012 tax tips from H&R Block Canada to see how you can save

1 of 6

Volunteer Firefighters Credit: If you perform at least 200 hours of volunteer firefighting services for one or more fire departments, you will be able to claim this new non-refundable credit. Written certification from the chief or delegated official is required, but it could pay off with a maximum of $450 in tax savings.


2 of 6

Manitobans get more credits: The provincial Children’s Fitness Credit has been expanded to include young adults age 16 to 24. And there is a new $500 Children’s Arts and Cultural Activity Credit.


3 of 6

Examination fees: If you pay fees to take an examination that is required to obtain a professional status or to practice a profession or trade, you can now claim them as tuition if the fees are more than $100.


4 of 6

Children’s Art Credit: Enrolling children younger than 16 in artistic, cultural, recreational or development programs means parents can claim up to $500 in registration or membership fees with the new Children’s Art Credit. This includes activities like scouting, painting, pottery and tutoring. It means about $75 in tax savings. And you can still claim the Children’s Fitness Credit for programs involving physical activity.


Story continues below advertisement

5 of 6

Students studying abroad: Instead of having to study for 13 consecutive weeks outside of Canada, you can now study for only three straight weeks and qualify for a tuition credit as well as the education and textbook tax credits.


6 of 6

More credit for childcare: In Newfoundland, a new non-refundable Child Care Credit will be available and will be based on the amount of childcare expenses the parents can claim on their federal tax return.


Report an error