Welcome to Week 2 of the 2013 Globe Life Boot Camp. For tips on getting started, choosing weights and calculating your heart rate (and to catch up on exercises and videos from Week 1 of the program), check out tgam.ca/bootcamp2013.
This week, amp up your cardio by doing three cardio workouts at 60- to 85-per-cent of your max heart rate. Any cardio workout will do. Good options include walking, jogging, elliptical or swimming.
- Beginner: Aim for three, 20- to 30-minute workouts.
- Advanced: Aim for three, 30- to 45-minute workouts.
Complete the weight workout twice during the week. If you choose to do weights on a different day than your cardio, make sure you start with a five- to 10-minute cardio warm-up. Do each exercise in the circuit back-to-back without rest. At the end of each circuit, rest for one minute and then repeat.
- Beginner: Do each circuit three times. Complete the lower number of recommended reps and shorter duration of recommended times.
- Advanced: Do each circuit three times. Complete a higher number of recommended reps and longer duration of recommended times.
- 1. Lunge and resistance band rows: 10 reps each side
- 2. Swiss ball push-ups: 10 to 15 reps
- 3. Resistance band rotations: 12 reps each side
- 1. Squats: 10 to 15 reps (Advanced: Hold weights in your hands.)
- 2. French press: 12 to 15 reps
- 3. Biceps to shoulder press: 12 to 15 reps
Trainer's Tip: If you're feeling unmotivated and you're tempted to relax instead of exercise, try to resist the temptation to skip your workout completely. Make a deal with yourself: You have to do only 10 minutes of the boot camp; if you still want to quit after that, you can. But usually, if you can finish 10 minutes of your workout, you will complete the entire thing. If for some reason you really can't go on, doing 10 minutes of exercise is still better than nothing!