Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

B.C. family relieved after missing autistic son found

After spending a long, cold night searching for their missing 13-year-old autistic son, Simon and Paulette Graham were on the street handing out posters and getting ready for a police press conference when they learned Nicholas had been found.

"Relief and hope," was how a weary Ms. Graham described her emotions on hearing from Vancouver police that the boy had been located and taken to hospital.

"I kissed everybody when I heard," said Mr. Graham, in an interview on the street outside the family home in Vancouver's West End.

Story continues below advertisement

He said their son, who vanished Sunday afternoon, had been found at 9:30 Monday morning, wandering in the University Endowment Lands, a heavily wooded area laced with hiking trails near the University of British Columbia.

How the boy got there, which would have required a nine-kilometre hike, isn't clear, but Mr. Graham said he probably rode buses at least part way.

"He loves trains, and knows every SkyTrain station in the city, and he loves buses and draws them in great detail," said Mr. Graham, moments before he and his wife headed to BC Children's Hospital, to be reunited with their son in time for New Year's Eve.

"We have been told he is in good shape, but we are both registered nurses," he said of Ms. Graham, "and we know all about hypothermia, so we are worried about how he is doing."

The temperature fell to 0 C Sunday night and there was a light rain.

Mr. Graham said Nicholas simply ran out the front door of the family home Sunday at about 3:30 p.m. and disappeared.

"He usually has a very busy, structured day," said Mr. Graham. "But on the school break there is a lot more time to fill. We were just getting ready to go out for a walk. I went to get my shoes, and he was gone. He was very excited to be going out and I think he just headed off by himself . . . We just never caught up."

Story continues below advertisement

He said Nicholas had been lost before.

"At eight [years] he went for a run, but that was the last time. I was just a bit behind yesterday and lost track of him for a moment," Mr. Graham said.

Ms. Graham said when the family realized Nicholas was missing they called police and began knocking on doors. Within a few hours the streets and alleyways were filled with volunteers helping with the search.

"I can't thank the neighbours enough," Ms. Graham said. "The community has been great."

She said volunteers were out looking with the family until 4 a.m. Then the search began again at daybreak Monday.

Ms. Graham and her husband were minutes away from holding a press conference to issue a city-wide plea for help when their son was found by a group.

Story continues below advertisement

Report an error Licensing Options
About the Author
National correspondent

Mark Hume is a National Correspondent for The Globe and Mail, based in Vancouver, writing news and feature stories on a daily basis about his home province of British Columbia. His weekly column, which often challenges the orthodoxy on environmental issues, appears every Monday. More


The Globe invites you to share your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful to everyone. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

We’ve made some technical updates to our commenting software. If you are experiencing any issues posting comments, simply log out and log back in.

Discussion loading… ✨

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Globe Newsletters

Get a summary of news of the day

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Thank you!

You are now subscribed to the newsletter at

You can unsubscribe from this newsletter or Globe promotions at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of the newsletter, or by emailing us at