Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Police arrest armed man at downtown Vancouver hotel after standoff

EMS workers transport an unidentified man who police say brandished a gun inside the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in Vancouver on Oct. 15, triggering a 10-hour standoff before he was subdued and arrested.

Andy Clark/Reuters

Vancouver police have arrested a man following a 10-hour standoff at a downtown hotel.

Police spokesman Constable Brian Montague says the man – a 28-year-old from Surrey with mental-health issues – walked into the Fairmont Pacific Rim around 2:30 a.m. Monday holding a handgun.

Police locked down several blocks and evacuated hotel guests before the man was arrested around 12:15 p.m.

Story continues below advertisement

"Our emergency response team took advantage of a situation where they were able to use a less-lethal projectile round and [took] him into custody. He has been transported to hospital for some minor injuries that he sustained during the arrest," Const. Montague said.

The man faces weapons-related charges. Const. Montague said the only demand he made during the incident was for water.

Police used an ARWEN round – a plastic projectile – to subdue the man. Const. Montague said he believed the man was struck in the leg.

Const. Montague said Vancouver Police did notify the Independent Investigations Office – B.C.'s new police oversight agency – of the takedown, but the office will not be investigating because the injuries the man sustained were minor. The office investigates incidents of serious harm or death involving police.

Const. Montague said he did not have much detail on the takedown itself, just that the emergency response team saw an opportunity and took it. He said the team used a stun grenade during the incident, which set off a building alarm.

Philip Barnes, the hotel's general manager, said his primary concern was for guests and residents. Nearly all of the guests were evacuated to a nearby Fairmont hotel. Mr. Barnes couldn't say how many of the residents chose to remain in their rooms.

Report an error Licensing Options
About the Author
News reporter

Based in Vancouver, Sunny has been with The Globe and Mail since November, 2010. More

Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.