Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Alleged PQ election night shooter appears in court with gashes on head

Richard Henry Bain, the suspect for the shooting at Montreal’s the Metropolis on Tuesday night, is being arraigned in a Montreal courthouse, seen in this artist’s courtroom sketch made Sept. 6, 2012. One man died and another was injured outside the theatre where the Parti Québécois victory rally took place.

Mike McLaughlin/REUTERS

The man accused in the Quebec election-night shooting that claimed one life and overshadowed Premier Pauline Marois's victory speech appeared in court with bloody gashes on his head, the result of being roughed up on his way to the courthouse, he said.

"A guard pushed me," a handcuffed Richard Henry Bain told his lawyer from the prisoner's box in Quebec Court on Thursday.

During the brief appearance, Mr. Bain's lawyer said she was waiting for the full recording of a controversial jailhouse interview given by Mr. Bain to a private Montreal radio station on Sept. 19. The lawyer, Elfriede Duclervil, said the 38-minute interview would be part of the disclosure of evidence from the Crown; only a portion it was publicly broadcast.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Bain granted the interview from the infirmary at the Rivière-des-Prairies detention centre in Montreal.

Ms. Duclervil said she is also asking for an investigation into what led to Mr. Bain's injuries on Thursday.

Mr. Bain faces 16 criminal charges including first-degree murder in the attack, attempted murder and arson.

Mr. Bain, a 62-year-old hunting-and-fishing lodge operator from the Laurentians region, alledgedly shot lighting technician Denis Blanchette just before midnight on Sept. 4, while Premier Marois was addressing party supporters inside the Métropolis nightclub in downtown Montreal.

He is also accused of setting fire to the back door of the club while the premier elect spoke on the club's stage nearby.

Another stage hand, Dave Courage, was wounded in the attack.

Prosecutors say Mr. Bain owned more than 20 firearms, almost all them legally registered.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Blanchette, 48, died after being shot and left behind a 4-year-old daughter.

The attack took on a political tinge after Mr. Bain was shown at the scene, dressed in a housecoat, being led away by police while yelling in French, "The anglos are waking up!"

Mr. Bain is to return to court Dec. 7.

Report an error Licensing Options
About the Author

Ingrid Peritz has been a Montreal-based correspondent for The Globe and Mail since 1998. Her reporting on the plight of Canadians suffering from the damaging effects of the drug thalidomide helped victims obtain federal compensation and earned The Globe and Mail a National Newspaper Award, Canadian Journalism Foundation award, and the Michener Award for public service. More

Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Thank you!

You are now subscribed to the newsletter at

You can unsubscribe from this newsletter or Globe promotions at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of the newsletter, or by emailing us at