Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Post-mortem exams delayed in Barrie, Ont. ‘suspicious death’ probe

Police tape marks a crime scene in this file photo.


Post-mortem exams of three sets of human remains, discovered in a burned car near Barrie, Ont., on Friday have been delayed until early next week.

"We're dealing with it as a series of three suspicious deaths at this time," OPP Sergeant Peter Leon said on Saturday, adding that the results of the post-mortem examinations will guide the investigation.

At around 5:30 a.m. on Friday, a passing motorist reported a significant amount of smoke near Line 4 South, in the township of Oro-Medonte. Firefighters extinguished the car fire and then discovered there were three deceased inside.

Story continues below advertisement

"There was basically a metal frame left," said Sgt. Leon. "The tires were non-existent, so basically it was a metal shell of a vehicle on rims. That being said, the fire was extremely intense and the remains inside were severely burned."

The human remains, along with the charred vehicle, were transported to the Centre of Forensic Sciences in Toronto on Friday afternoon.

Sgt. Leon said there has been no evidence to suggest a connection to five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents, who were reported missing in Calgary.

"We are securing the scene until we're advised otherwise by our investigators. My understanding is we could be there until the post mortems are complete," said Sgt. Leon.

Report an error Licensing Options
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Thank you!

You are now subscribed to the newsletter at

You can unsubscribe from this newsletter or Globe promotions at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of the newsletter, or by emailing us at