A fire that shut down an east end Toronto high school will be investigated as an arson, police announced Friday.
The blaze began Wednesday morning in the drama room of Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute on Greenwood Avenue.
An alarm was triggered around 10:20 a.m. All students and staff safely evacuated, but by the time firefighters entered the building, fire was rolling over their heads and smoke was filling the hallways.
One firefighter was treated at the scene after he overheated.
When all was said and done, damage to the building was so bad, students are attending classes at other schools.
A witness at the scene told the Globe Wednesday that the fire may have started behind the stage and there appeared to be smoke coming from a closet.
The Toronto District School Board said Friday that students were to report to their alternative schools Monday afternoon and a plan would be announced for the rest of the week after that.
Students have been able to retrieve personal belongings from classrooms and the board is working on a plan to allow them to access their lockers too.