Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

From the archives: The Bloor Viaduct in pictures

The Prince Edward Viaduct, often simply called the Bloor Viaduct, connects Bloor Street with Danforth Avenue 40 metres above the Don Valley. R.C. Harris, then Toronto's public works commissioner, added a second deck to the bridge for a subway - though the Bloor-Danforth line wouldn't be built for decades.

1 of 14

A footpath across the Don Valley in 1908, where the Prince Edward Viaduct would be built.

City of Toronto Archives/City of Toronto Archives

2 of 14

The Prince Edward Viaduct (better known as the Bloor Viaduct) under construction Dec. 31, 1916.

City of Toronto Archives/City of Toronto Archives

3 of 14

Track construction was underway for the Prince Edward (Bloor) Viaduct July 23, 1918.

City of Toronto Archives/City of Toronto Archives

4 of 14

The Don track section of the Prince Edward Viaduct (better known as the Bloor Viaduct) was under construction July 31, 1918.

City of Toronto Archives/City of Toronto Archives

Story continues below advertisement

5 of 14

A crowd gathers for the opening of the Don section of the Prince Edward Viaduct Oct. 18, 1918. The day after, The Globe reported the Spanish flu prevented the designing engineer from making an appearance. Likewise, the speeches were kept brief.

City of Toronto Archives/City of Toronto Archives

6 of 14

People cross the Don Valley portion of the Bloor Viaduct on its opening day, Oct. 18, 1918. The entire system opened 1919.

City of Toronto Archives/City of Toronto Archives

7 of 14

A map of the Bloor Street Viaduct route from December, 1918.

City of Toronto Archives/City of Toronto Archives

8 of 14

The Prince Edward Viaduct looking east to Broadview Avenue, circa 1920.

City of Toronto Archives/City of Toronto Archives

9 of 14

The Don River and Bloor Street Viaduct, sometime before 1940.

City of Toronto Archives/City of Toronto Archives

10 of 14

View of the Bloor Street Viaduct from above taken December, 1960.

Hunting Survey Corp./Hunting Survey Corp.

11 of 14

Aerial view of the Don Valley looking south in October, 1962, with the Prince Edward Viaduct at the top of the photo.

Hunting Survey Corp./Hunting Survey Corp.

12 of 14

View of traffic flowing on the Don Valley Parkway and under the Prince Edward Viaduct (centre) on June 3, 1988.

John McNeill /The Globe and Mail/John McNeill /The Globe and Mail

13 of 14

Construction on the "Luminous Veil", a suicide barrier added to the Prince Edward Viaduct, was completed in 2003.

Patti Gower/The Globe and Mail/Patti Gower/The Globe and Mail

14 of 14

Matthew Perlanski approaches the Bloor Street Viaduct while canoeing down the Don River during the Paddle the Don event on May 6, 2012.

Jennifer Roberts for The Globe and Mail/jennifer roberts The Globe and Mail

Report an error
Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Thank you!

You are now subscribed to the newsletter at

You can unsubscribe from this newsletter or Globe promotions at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of the newsletter, or by emailing us at privacy@globeandmail.com.