Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Police go door-to-door in Regent Park looking for clues in Tyson Bailey’s death

A makeshift memorial in front of 605 Whiteside Place in Toronto's Regent Park Jan 24, 2013, a few days after 15-year-old youth Tyson Bailey was shot and killed here.

Moe Doiron/The Globe and Mail

Five weeks after Toronto teen Tyson Bailey was shot dead in a public-housing complex in central-east Toronto, detectives returned to the neighbourhood Thursday for a door-to-door canvass.

Police released two security camera videos of two men following Tyson into the building. Police are asking for information about the two men, whom they have classified as persons of interest.

No arrests have been made in the death of Tyson, fatally wounded Jan. 18 on the 14th floor of a Regent Park high-rise.

Story continues below advertisement

He was rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead, but the trip was slowed by problems with the building's elevators.

Since then, two other 15-year-olds have also been shot dead on Toronto Community Housing property.

In one, the killing last week of St. Aubyn Rodney, a 17-year-old youth has been charged with manslaughter.

Today's canvass in and around the crime scene at 605 Whiteside Place was planned to runo from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. Lead homicide investigator Detective Sergeant Justin Vander Heyden was present.

Separately, Toronto police announced Thursday that a man already charged with attempted murder in another homicide this year, that of 19-year-old Naveed Shahnawaz, has had the charge upgraded to first-degree murder.

Tony Hoang Dinh, 18 was one of three men accused of gun-related offences in the death of Mr. Shahnawaz, who was attacked and shot outside a nightclub at Exhibition Place in the early hours of Feb. 10.

A 23-year-old man was also shot and wounded in the assault, and as the alleged attackers fled the crime scene in a car, police opened fire, wounding two of the three.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Shahnawaz, an accomplished boxer, died five days later of his injuries,  becoming the city's seventh homicide victim so far this year.

Mr. Dinh was to appear in court Thursday on the new charge.

Report an error Licensing Options
About the Author

At The Globe and Mail since 1982, in assorted manifestations, chiefly crime reporter, foreign correspondent and member of the Editorial Board, Tim is now retired. More

Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Thank you!

You are now subscribed to the newsletter at

You can unsubscribe from this newsletter or Globe promotions at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of the newsletter, or by emailing us at