Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Three dead, two hospitalized from suspected carbon-monoxide in Toronto-area home

Police tape marks a crime scene in this file photo.

JOHN LEHMANN/The GLOBE AND MAI

Three family members are dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after police say a portable propane heater was used inside a home just west of Toronto.

Peel Regional Police Const. Fiona Thivierge confirms a 60-year-old man, his 59-year-old wife and their 36-year-old son died in hospital after the overnight incident in Brampton, Ont.

Two other men who were also in the home were taken to hospital but are expected to recover.

Story continues below advertisement

Thivierge says the couple's 29-year-old son arrived home just before 2 a.m. to find the carbon monoxide detector going off and everyone inside the home unconscious.

She says the home's furnace had broken down the previous day and at least one outside heater had been brought inside to warm the home.

The identities of the victims are not being released.

Thivierge says the coroner is investigating and police are assisting but the case is not considered a criminal one.

Police are advising people not to bring propane heaters into their homes.

Report an error
Comments

The Globe invites you to share your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful to everyone. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

We’ve made some technical updates to our commenting software. If you are experiencing any issues posting comments, simply log out and log back in.

Discussion loading… ✨