Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

West-end Toronto residents allowed outside after acid-cloud scare

Residents in a west Toronto neighbourhood where acid was released into the air earlier this morning are now being told that it is safe to go outside.

Police say the incident was first reported shortly before 10 a.m. when a resident walked outside in the Bloor Street and Lansdowne Avenue area, witnessed a cloud of smoke and began coughing.

Toronto Fire Capt. Michael Westwood says a combination of hydrochloric and sulphuric acid was mixed and released into the air, creating a fog that can be irritating if inhaled.

Story continues below advertisement

Residents were warned to stay in their homes with doors and windows shut to prevent inhaling potentially hazardous fumes.

Shortly after noon, fire officials said the "acid reaction" was over and it was safe to go outside.

No serious injuries were reported, but the fire service said eight people were being treated for minor throat and eye irritations as a result of the incident.

Report an error
Comments

The Globe invites you to share your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful to everyone. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

We’ve made some technical updates to our commenting software. If you are experiencing any issues posting comments, simply log out and log back in.

Discussion loading… ✨

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Combined Shape Created with Sketch.

Thank you!

You are now subscribed to the newsletter at

You can unsubscribe from this newsletter or Globe promotions at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of the newsletter, or by emailing us at privacy@globeandmail.com.