Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Ten wrong assumptions about staff incentives

10 wrong assumptions about staff incentives

iStockphoto/iStockphoto

Marketing and incentive design consultant Paul Hebert says on his i2i-align.com blog that as companies roll out their incentive and reward programs for staff this year, it's important for managers to beware of 10 common assumptions – because each of them is dead wrong:

1. What the boss thinks is a good incentive usually isn't.

2. People can keep a 12-month goal in the forefront of their mind.

Story continues below advertisement

3. If the award is valuable enough, you don't need to communicate and remind people of the opportunity.

4. A bigger award is better.

5. Top performers don't need to be reminded of where they stand in the program.

6. Rewarding the top 10 per cent of employees will motivate the other 90 per cent.

7. Everyone likes travel as an award.

8. Millions of award choices are the best way to get everyone excited about the program.

9. If I only reward employees on incremental business they bring in, the program will pay for itself.

Story continues below advertisement

10. In this economy, simply keeping their job is incentive enough.

Report an error
About the Author
Management columnist

Harvey Schachter is a Kingston, Ont.-based writer specializing in management issues. He writes Monday Morning Manager and management book reviews for the print edition of Report on Business and an online column, Power Points. More

Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.